C02 – Co-deformation of intermetallic-metallic composites
PI: Sandra Korte-Kerzel (IMM RWTH Aachen University)
SFB researchers: Lukas Berners (IMM RWTH Aachen University)
Dr. Muhammad Zubair (IMM RWTH Aachen University, now Assistant Prof. @UET Lahore)
In project C02 the mechanical properties of Mg-Al-Ca alloys with varying chemical compositions are analysed by means of tensile testing, nano indentation and micropillar compression. The microstructure of the alloys, which are composed of a soft Mg matrix and a hard skeleton of intermetallic Laves phase, is characterised by means of SEM, EDS, EBSD and TEM. We also use A.I. to obtain statistical information on active deformation mechanisms across a large area. In our project, we aim to find out more about the co-deformation mechanisms between the hard Laves phases and the soft matrix. Especially we want to learn how defect phases in the composing phases as well as in the interface can influence the deformation behaviour. Therefore, our experiments are performed at variable temperature and strain rate and for different microstructural morphologies.
-  M. Zubair, S. Sandlöbes-Haut, et al. (2021), Co-deformation between the metallic matrix and intermetallic phases in a creep-resistant Mg-3.68Al-3.8Ca alloy Materials & Design (210), pp. 110113 - DOI:10.1016/j.matdes.2021.110113
-  J. Guénolé, M. Zubair, et al. (2021), Materials & Design (202), Exploring the transfer of plasticity across Laves phase interfaces in a dual phase magnesium alloy, pp. 109572 - DOI:10.1016/j.matdes.2021.109572
-  M. Zubair, M. Felten et al. (2022), Laves Phase Precipitates in Mg-Al-Ca Alloys and Their Effect on Mechanical Properties (Preprint), DOI:10.2139/ssrn.4240590
-  D. Andre, M. Freund et al. (2022), Metallographic preparation methods for the Mg based system Mg-Al-Ca and its Laves phases, Materials Characterization (192) pp. 112187. DOI: 10.1016/j. matchar.2022.112187
-  M. Freund, D. Andre, et al. (2021), Plastic deformation of the CaMg2 C14-Laves phase from 50 - 250°C, Materialia (20) pp. 101237. DOI:10.1016/j.mtla.2021.101237
-  Gibson, J. S. K.-L.; Pei, R.; Heller, M.; Medghalchi, S.; Luo, W.; Korte-Kerzel, S. Finding and Characterising Active Slip Systems: A Short Review and Tutorial with Automation Tools. Materials 14 (2) (2021), 407. DOI: 10.3390/ma14020407 , source Code : doi.org/10.3390/ma14020407
-  Korte-Kerzel, S.; Hickel, T.; Huber, L.; Raabe, D.; Sandlöbes-Haut, S.; Todorova, M.; Neugebauer, J. Defect Phases – Thermodynamics and Impact on Material Properties. International Materials Reviews 2021, 1–29. DOI 10.1080/09506608.2021.1930734.
-  Xie, Z., Chauraud, D., Atila, A., Bitzek, E., Korte-Kerzel, S., Guénolé, J. , Unveiling the mechanisms of motion of synchro-Shockley dislocations, arXiv preprint, DOI: 10.48550/arXiv.2205.02669, Source Code : zenodo.org/record/4560051